Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sunflower Seed Milk



It will take a photographer with better skills than I to capture the lovely pale green color of sunflower seed milk. Much prettier in real life than my photos would convey...

I've taken to using sunflower seeds a lot when making fresh nut milk (or in this case, "seed" milk...). They're packed with nutrition, some highlights of which include a significant source of the anti-oxidant Vitamin E, as well as the essential fatty acid Omega 6, and a good bit of protein. It's also a great source of folate (folic acid). Especially good for pregnant mothers.

In addition, sunflower seeds are less than half the cost of my favorite nut milk ingredient, pecans. Very attractive when you are trying to minimize costs.

I make milk from sunflower seeds using the same proportion as with the nuts, I make sure to use the leftover pulp in some fashion. I purchased my nut milk bag online from Alissa Cohen's site... it's a nice large size. And I make sure to always use it so the seam of the bag is on the outside, that way the pulp doesn't get caught in it when I'm trying to clean it.


1 C. sunflower seeds (no need to soak)
4 C. quality water
good dash himmy salt
1 T. raw honey (or other sweetener to taste -- sweetener is optional, as you might want the milk for a savory recipe, such as a soup)

Blend ingredients till smooth in blender. Place nut milk bag in pitcher (or bowl) & pour the milk into the bag. Carefully (so you don't splash yourself or the counter) squeeze the pulp down towards the bottom of the bag & the milk out the bottom. Slide and push down as you would a tube of toothpaste. When you get to the bottom, really give it some good squeezes to get all the moisture out.

Use right away, or by the next morning. Keep leftovers in the fridge. It's normal for separation to occur, but when you stir it up it gets creamy again.

No comments: